The self-drafted thingymajig
Ok, so what would you call this?
An underskirt? A slip? A half slip? A waist slip? A petticoat? Something else?
Anyway, I wear these a lot. I sew lots of cotton dresses: often they aren’t lined and I usually wear tights underneath. These thingymajigs stop my dresses from sticking to my tights, and they stop them from riding up.
Now, sometime last year my good friend Amy passed onto me a bunch of fabric she had decided she had no use for (thank youuuuu!). Amongst it was two metres of real, proper silk charmeuse! Lucky me! I was very excited after having done the burn test to have some real silk on my hands. But what to do with it? Of course you already know the answer… I used it to make a thingymajig!
Having looked, albeit briefly, at the construction of my other thingymajigs, I saw it was extremely simple. Like – two rectangles with elastic at the top and lace at the bottom. I thought I couldn’t go wrong…
The first toile was too tight at the hips and the waist felt too loose. I cut into it to see how much to add in, which is why it’s cut open on the photo. The second toile was too tight all over because I shaped it in line with my measurements but there was no closure so it was difficult to get it on (d’oh!). I ripped that one off – hence the giant tear in the picture! The third toile – I overcompensated and it completely drowned me. After that, I stopped arsing around, got myself some dot and cross paper and actually drafted a proper paper pattern, and it worked! Huzzah!
And after making the fifth, and final incarnation of the thingymajig, I am now suitably experienced in the art of stretching elastic like crazy and attaching it to a waistband with a three-step zigzag stitch!
I’m glad I put the silk to good use – this is practical clothing and luxury combined. It will get worn much more than if it had become the lining of only one dress, and much more than if I had made a blouse with it.
And if I ever happen to come by any more silk, I have my pattern ready to go!